First goal is 70kg. Final goal is 60kg

Monday, January 9, 2012

Jan 2012

10th Jan 2012 - 76.0kg

Where does the time go? Though I am glad Christmas is behind me (no pun intended). I did pretty well eating sensibly and I am back on track counting kJ again. It seems that is the only way I can guarantee I lose weight. I may have mentioned before that I feel there is a very fine line between loss, maintenance and gain as far as my body goes. between 5000 and 6000 kJ I will lose weight. anything over 6000 and I tend to put on even though the diet info says we will still lose weight at 7000kJ. I am blaming my thyroid or maybe it is just my general body workings. I know I have more muscle than 6 months ago because I am stronger but I don't seem to burn food any better. I have really cut back the effort in my exercising over the last month and I don't notice any difference in how hard it is to lose weight. It just seems the same as usual.

Soooo.... What does this tell me?

Exercise doesn't seem to change my metabolism - but it does make me feel better.
Increased muscle doesn't seem to increase my metabolism - but it certainly makes general activity easier when I feel strong.
Counting kJ is the best way for me to lose weight.
Swapping and substituting foods within the 5500 range is the only way I am going to lose weight and still have some comfort foods.

I love to read my yoga magazine. This month there was an article about being kind to yourself rather than getting angry and putting yourself down when you don't achieve your goals. I tend to beat myself up when I fall off the wagon but this week I decided that I would change my inner dialogue to something more positive. I try to think things like 'I have made it to 7pm and I am under 5500kJ. I have given myself a real chance of losing weight. I can't wait to get on the scales tomorrow' or 'I really feel like having this yummy chili chocolate today. If I have a smaller breakfast and only one cappuccino and only veges for dinner it will fit right in. I think I will get the most out of it if I have it with my after lunch coffee. Mmmmm I am looking forward to it'.
It is amazing how well positive thinking works.

My latest new information ( I am always on the look out for new facts about the body) is about the body clock. I watched a show on how we start off slow in the mornings and shouldn't over do it too early because our blood pressure is higher in the morning and out core temp is lower.
Between about 9am and 11am is the best time for brain work.
After lunch we have a slump and grabbing forty winks is a good idea. 2pm to 3pm is a bad time for doing something that requires our full attention. Strange how many attention requiring things happen at that time like picking the kids up from school or driving somewhere after lunch.
By 4pm our core temp is reaching its peak and we get a second wind after our nap. between about 4pm and 7pm is a good time to be active - do the housework, do that gym workout, go out for dinner.
By about 9pm our body starts to prepare for sleep and in the small hours of the morning we are at our slowest. This is why old people die in their sleep. Around 3am or 4am our body metabolism is at its lowest point in the 24 hour cycle and we are most likely to slip away then.

I found all this very interesting so I am trying to change my exercise and housework to the afternoon and plan to do my sewing and designing in the morning. It will take a few weeks for my brain and body to get in synch.

Happy Life Journey,
Val

2 comments:

  1. G'day Val. Good on you. At least you are trying to do something and it sounds as if you have worked out what suits you best. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I want to thank YOU so much for putting the "on my weigh" button on your blog. =)

    Metabolism - for me, I find that if I eat less - like, almost nothing after 5...there is a big diff in the weight loss for me. And, if I walk longer at an incline on the treddy, it's better than if I try to do shorter/faster/no incline. I've found it interesting, in talking with people, that people's meta can be different, depending on who they are.

    Time clock - I do have the bit of a slump in the afternoon. But, for the most part I am a morning person. After about 6pm...my brain shuts to about 50%. (and...50% of MY brain capacity...well, not good for much! =P )

    Thanks again for your sharing your weight journey. I really do appreciate having company on "the journey" =)

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate positive comments.