First goal is 70kg. Final goal is 60kg

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shopping budget

Over the last year or so I have tried to limit what food comes into the house by having a shopping budget. It is not that I can't afford whatever I want to eat, but having a tight budget helps me control what food I buy. I buy meat at the Super Butcher. Chicken, steak, sausages. beef mince.

I check the Coles and Woolworths catalogues looking for specials on things I normally buy and I will buy multiples to try to save money.

I went shopping on Wednesday mostly at Aldi. It is much cheaper than any other shops.
This list is for two people.
6 pink lady apples
432g tin pineapple slices
185g x 2 tins tuna in springwater
400g x 2 tins chopped tomatoes
450g tin beetroot
large jar sweet n sour sauce
1kg carrots
500g x 4 packs of gluten free plain flour
500g x 2 green beans
200g hazelnut chocolate
1.8kg bananas

200g x 2 Smiths chips ( on special at Coles)
400g x 2 chic peas tins (at Coles cause Aldi doesn't have them)

My meals are simple. I try to include steamed vegetables with lunch and dinner. I used to have lots of broccoli but it has vitamin K that is a blood clotting agent and not good for my bad veins. Green beans are my substitute. I use basmati rice to help fill me up several times a week. I alternate between oats and banana pikelets for breakfast. No commercial cereals. My doctor said to cut down on meat so I try to have tuna and chick peas 3 or four days a week.

My varicose veins have been a problem over the last year or so. I have had three bouts of thrombophlebitis or inflamed blood clots. The inflammation is extremely painful and looks red and feels hot like an infection but it is caused by the blood clots. It is possible to feel the clots like big grapes in the surface veins. What caused the clots I am not sure but in each case I pinched the veins by squatting down. By the third time I knew what was happening and immediately took my Vitalzyme capsules when I felt the pain start. 5 capsules 3 times a day seemed to work as well as the clexane blood thinner that the doctor gave me for the other 2 bouts. It takes about three months for the clots to go away but at least this time I didn't have more than a few weeks of mild pain. The other times I couldn't walk.

It is not something that all doctors have seen. I looked for something that would help prevent further clots. I have a genetic history. I found the Vitalzyme at Return2Health site and I take it now everyday. Just a maintenance dose of 2 to 4 capsules a day.
I also exercise with Yoga and walking to try to improve my circulation. I also want to lose weight to try to take the strain off my legs and improve circulation.

I think my varicose vein problem started with my two pregnancies. I would have worn support stockings during my pregnancies if I knew what I know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate positive comments.